Fabulously executed events don’t always have to happen at expensive venues that involve lots of travel and accommodations.
Depending on how the size and layout of your property, events can be held in or outside the home. This location option boasts advantages and disadvantages that range across the spectrum of event planning. To simplify your decision, we’ve laid out why this could be beneficial, but also recognizing some of its drawbacks so there are no unwanted surprises.
- Convenience of travel for you and most guests: one of the most obvious reasons you should have your event at home is so that you don’t have to go anywhere! All site reviews, design meetings, and of course the actual event all come to you and your home. In some cases, your guests are people that live relatively close to you which makes the venue location easy for them to locate. Guests that live out of town also now have the option to stay in your home which will avoid costly hotel fees. Keeping your guests happy is extremely important to the success of your event.
- Familiarity with surroundings: you see your home every single day, so unlike a venue that you have visited once or twice, you couldn’t be more familiar with your own venue space! Though measurements eventually need to be taken, you have a general idea of whats going to work and where.
- Easier Access to Amenities: usage of storage in a basement, extra bedrooms, a kitchen, your personal wine cellar, or a even pool are just a few of the amenities that are not common in other venue spaces. At your home, these conveniences are only a few steps away and could be a great element that adds to the flow of your event.
- Warmer atmosphere: using a home or an outdoor space can supply your event with a warmer, more intimate feeling. If this type of setting makes sense for your event, you may want to consider your home as a venue choice. Simple characteristics such as a fireplace or comfortable couches that already exist in your home can make guests feel more comfortable and relaxed.
- Can be planned quickly with any date of your choice: popular venues can be booked out for months, so if your events calls for shorter notice, using your home as a venue may be the way to go.
- Weather Proof: hot and humid summer day with a 5pm thunderstorm? Sounds like typical unpredictable weather. Even if your event is planned outside of your home, you can always temporarily host your guests inside of your home until the weather clears up.
- Potential damage/clean up: accidents can easily happen at events whether caused from guests or vendors. Be sure that the proper precautions are taking to protect valuable or sentimental items in your home.
- Liability to guests & vendors: looking into some extra insurance may ease some of your stress of having an event in your home.
- Neighbors: most neighbors should be okay with you hosting an event as long as it is kept appropriate. However, it is a good idea to give them a heads up about what is going on so they feel as comfortable as possible during the celebration.
These variables fall into the grey zone, they each hold pros and cons.
PRO: Choose whichever vendor you want. This option gives you unlimited options for all the elements of your event.
CON: If you are not an events expert, finding the best vendors could be timely and expensive.
PRO: Hosting your own event can be inexpensive, a venue is one of the priciest elements of an event.
CON: Warning! It can however turn into a larger expense than you expected. After renting chairs, tables, sound equipment, etc. (that are already included in venue pricing) it can add up quickly.
- Blank Slate
PRO: Since you are starting with a blank slate, every single aspect of your event design is up to you. Imagine the possibilities!
CON: Most homes are not set up to be event locations. It could be a lot of effort to transform a home or backyard into a functional event space.
We love events because they are so versatile when it comes to designing them based on their purpose. If you feel like hosting the event in or around your home would be beneficial to your guests and objective, we say go for it! To learn more about our at home event recommendations check out our Pinterest board!